Alexander Master, Jesus heals the crippled woman; The parable of the barren fig-tree,
Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague, 1430
So the man said to the gardener, 'See here! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down! Why should it be wasting the soil [NRSV, Luke 13:7]?'
Christ Church Cathedral Choir Notes
3rd Sunday of Lent
Click to go immediately to:
Christ Church Cathedral Assistant Organist Adrian Foster and Organ Scholar Robert Hamilton will perform an organ recital at the 1980 Wilhelm organ at 6pm, Saturday, February 27, to open Montreal’s La Nuit Blanche at Christ Church Cathedral.
O Mensch, bewein dein Sünde groß, BWV 622 [Kibbie: listen], Johann Sebastian Bach
I. Allegro con brio
II. Andante religioso
IV. Allegro maestoso
Nicholas Stone the Elder, Orlando Gibbons, Canterbury Cathedral, 1626
The music of Orlando Gibbons is featured at evensong this coming Sunday.
Access to a James Johnstone recording for free online listening of Orlando Gibbons keyboard music [musicMe]
Review by David Vernier, ClassicsToday.com
1. Pavane and Galliard "Lord Salisbury" (Harpsichord)
2. Preludes (4) for Keyboard: no 4 in A minor (Virginal)
3. Ground for Keyboard "Italian" (Harpsichord)
4. Whoop, do me no harm, good man (Virginal)
5. Ground for Keyboard in A minor (Virginal)
6. Fantasias (10) for Keyboard: Fantasia no 10 in C major (Harpsichord)
7. The King's jewel (Virginal)
8. Galliard for Keyboard, MB 20 no 25 (Harpsichord)
9. Pavane no 16 in G minor (Harpsichord)
10. Fantasias (10) for Keyboard: Fantasia no 4 in D minor(Harpsichord)
11. Fantasias (10) for Keyboard: Fantasia no 2 in D minor(Harpsichord)
12. Alman for Keyboard, MB 20 no 32 "French Ayre"(Harpsichord)
13. Mask "Welcome home" (Virginal)
14. Fantasias (10) for Keyboard: Fantasia no 7 in A minor(Virginal)
15. Pavan for Keyboard, MB 20 no 15 (Harpsichord)
16. Galliard for Keyboard, MB 20 no 21 (Harpsichord)
17. The fairest nymph (Harpsichord)
18. Pavan for Keyboard, MB 20 no 17 (Harpsichord)
19. Galliard for Keyboard, MB 20 no 24 (Harpsichord)
20. Fantasias (10) for Keyboard: Fantasia no 1 in D minor(Harpsichord)
21. Fantasias (10) for Keyboard: Fantasia no 5 in G minor(Harpsichord)
The complete organ music of Orlando Gibbons performed by Robert Woolley at the 17th century Thomas Dallam II organ in Ploujean, Brittany, along with selected anthems performed the Choir of St. John’s College, Cambridge; Philip Scriven, organ; Christopher Robinson conducting. [BNQ; BM] (info)
Click to go to a playlist of 191 recordings of Orlando Gibbons vocals on YouTube.
Click to go to Bach Cantatas for Online Listening.
Cantata 54 is assigned to Oculi Sunday, the Third Sunday of Lent (Oculi is the first word of the traditional introit).
Alexander Master, Jesus heals the Geresene, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague, 1430